Tuesday, April 21, 2020

A Classy and generous Friend!! ~ Bajje Serugunda


I met Paul when we were approximately 14-15 years old in Old Kampala at a mutual friends home. He always had a good sense of humor and did love himself some soccer. I was at Kings college Budo and Paul was at St Mary’s Kisubi. We kind of used to always run into each other during the school holidays and seminars. And by the way even back then, Paul had that big smile and was always a very welcoming fellow.

After high school, Paul left for the UK to study Architecture and I went on to Makerere University. Fast forward and we met again in Boston MA in the late 1990’s/early 2000’s. Paul then relocated to Atlanta GA in 2003 where we met once again when I also relocated in 2004.

He welcomed us to Atlanta as if he had been here for 20 plus years, he loved Atlanta so much as a city. The first  thing he did was convince me to play golf. We played golf every Friday afternoon and in the beginning I really didn’t want to. He was very good at convincing and teaching me the sport. Shortly after that he started gathering his friends to start a soccer club. Most of us had kids under 3 years old. He encouraged us to bring our kids including his own (Solomon) to push balls back and forth. 
Although I grew up watching soccer,  I never really actively played the game. Paul got a bunch of us with our toddlers in toe and pushed us into seriously playing soccer. We always tried to tell him "Boss, this is just a work out"  but Paul would push and push!. At some point our wives joined the team. Soccer in the Atlanta community became an addiction because of his vision. All the the kids, mums and the dads looked  forward to this “addiction”  every Saturday afternoon.  Even when we had guests from Uganda, they would have to come to the soccer field for a doze. 

I just don’t know how we are going to manage without Paul??  Soccer has become a way of life for us because of him and we have to keep the flame alive.  Paul was very meticulous and methodical at what he did in life. Simple things such as showing up for a function on time (something some of us would fail trying). This leads me to the work I did with him in running the affairs of the team or club.

I have been the treasurer of the team since we started. The team is made up of 6 guys that organize our annual functions (Picnics and Gala’s). Paul in his humble way, would drive us all crazy.  He would show up to meetings with the final product already done in his mind and you just had to catch up. He always presented his ideas in such an organized fashion you just couldn't stop the train. At the end of the day we all caved in,  including the entire team!

He was very generous with his time and personal resources. Paul was always showing up with new Ugandans in the community. I don’t know who is going to bring us new friends now?? Just ready to help any one that listened. Paul would pick up a conversation with any one from any walk of life. A classy gentleman with a warm heart. An exceptional father. I always used to tease him that he should have been a Budonian to which he would reply, "Bernanke (my nickname), ekyo tekisoboka!!"

I could go on and on about my dear friend and brother. Paul, thank you for what you were to us and to me personally. We shall all be there for Solomon and he will be OK. I miss you man and miss that bright smile. I am sorry for showing up late to the games! 

Sleep well Paul!!
Weraba!!







Bajje Serugunda
Atlanta, GA USA

3 comments:

  1. "I have been the treasurer of the team since we started. The team is made up of 6 guys that organize our annual functions (Picnics and Gala’s). Paul in his humble way, would drive us all crazy. He would show up to meetings with the final product already done in his mind and you just had to catch up. He always presented his ideas in such an organized fashion you just couldn't stop the train. At the end of the day we all caved in, including the entire team!" - I very much recall those meetings for the Galas and Picnics. PIP Paul.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Team - Andrew Kirunda, Bajje Sseugunda, Martin Kiggude, Tamale M, Lawrence Mukwaya and Paul Kyegombe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bajje nga kitalo nyo okufirwa omuntu omulungi nga Paul. Mukama abagumwe munnange. Daudi Mugambi

    ReplyDelete

My brother the genius ~ Dr. Patrick Kyamanywa

My brother the genius ... fare thee well until we meet again We first met with Paul in mid February of 1978 joining St. Stanislaus Mug...