Wednesday, April 22, 2020

A Letter to My And Yours, Paulo ~ Bishop Kagale

Paulo,

What now looks like my final goodbye to you was around a year ago while you were in the hospital. I remember the first time I came to your room right after you had been transferred from the ICU. You were sitting in the chair by your bed, looking pensively outside the window. When you saw me, your face beamed with your brilliant smile, and you said, “ha Bishop nawe oze?” I replied, of course, you are my VIP today. Then for some reason, it dawned on you that I worked at the hospital, and you said wow you work here? “Man, this hospital is fantastic. They have given me a new lease on life”. 

You showed me your scar, and I remember tearing up because it dawned on me that you had been in the fight of your life, and as typical Paul, you had come out swinging! 
You told me the story of how the doctors had given you hope, and to me, you looked like a million bucks because I knew you had fought and won. So from that day on while you were in the hospital, I would come, pick you up from your room and walk you down those hallways. Do you remember that?  Our conversations would go something like this, "Bishop kino ekintu kibadde nkitwala naye I am thankful because I have a new lease on life". 

I remember in one conversation I complained that I liked the hospital, but the traffic was a killer to which you admonished me saying "traffic kye ki? Just get your music to listen while driving and know that traffic is a part of life".

I have been reflecting on all of that am thinking you told me you had beaten this thing…..I am still speechless, but I have learned a lesson not to get too busy with life and to always check on the people I care about more often.  I am heartbroken because I think I could have done this differently….I am a Hospice Nurse I could have sat with you.  I am a nurse. That’s my superpower I did not get to use it with you.

Rest in Peace, My Friend…You will be missed


Your Friend, 
Bishop
Atlanta GA, USA

No comments:

Post a Comment

My brother the genius ~ Dr. Patrick Kyamanywa

My brother the genius ... fare thee well until we meet again We first met with Paul in mid February of 1978 joining St. Stanislaus Mug...