Monday, April 20, 2020

Paul, the challenger ~ The Wamulangas

Paul, the challenger of challenges.

My first meeting with Paul aka Coach Paul, was in 2004 at a Ugandan event. He asked me whether I was interested in playing soccer.  Many of my Atlanta Cranes team mates already know what my response was. However, I pointed out the two road blocks that would deter us from playing the game: a venue & team mates. I never realized that I was talking to someone whose mind had no road blocks. 

The following Saturday, we met at a Roswell park. There, we found a group of Mexicans playing soccer. It was clear that outsiders were not welcomed because of the locked gates.  Paul said, " Richard, it looks like these guys won't let us in. Let's jump over this fence." And we did just that!  I encouraged two of my good friends: Mr. Romeo Rwambaisire & Mr. Joseph Kizito to join us. We played soccer every Saturday in Lithonia until I moved to Houston, Texas on 2006. When I returned to Atlanta in 2009, Atlanta Cranes had been born.

Besides being a soccer lover,  Paul as a loving dad. "Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old; he will not depart from it." Proverbs 22:6.  Paul did just that. Towards the end of last year, he brought his son, Solomon to my workshop. He instructed him to interview me on how I ran the Company. He advised him to be industrious, to be a giver; and never a beggar. Yes! Paul lived by example.

Winnie and I are happy to have met you. We say thank you for being part of our wedding  fundraiser event,  even if it was only a few days after your surgery; your generous contribution; stepping in as MC and auctioning the Portrait that you donated to us; encouraging us during the most trying times of our lives; and helping the less fortunate kids in Uganda to gain access to reading materials. 

We will never forget you Paul.




The Wamulangas
Atlanta, GA USA

3 comments:

  1. This is such a brilliant tribute to Paul. He will surely be missed dearly. Paul was a very special person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a touching tribute. I never met Paul but from what you have shared and so many others,he was truly a selfless person and touched so many lives! My deepest condolences.RIP Paul

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paul my friend. You have your Huddersfield comrades' crestfallen heart's and love on your new journey.

    ReplyDelete

My brother the genius ~ Dr. Patrick Kyamanywa

My brother the genius ... fare thee well until we meet again We first met with Paul in mid February of 1978 joining St. Stanislaus Mug...